Thursday, July 16, 2009

Going to the Library


Today I took my little cousin Katana and my "little"-grown up sister to the library. Reading is a passion of mine that I've had since I was really little. My family says that when I was about my cousin's age, I had memorized all the books in my room and would sit on their laps and pretend I was reading to them. I knew what words went with what pages and when to turn the page before continuing on with the story. Unless they knew better, everyone thought I could read! As I got older, the library in the town I lived in usually had a summer reading program. You were allowed to put your name in a drawing for prizes every time you finished a book. You got one entry per book and the librarian had to check off that the book was really your reading level. I was always winning prizes since I was always going to the library!


I am hoping to instill this same love of books and reading in Katana. While she is here for the summer I hope to take her to the library every week. We went two weeks ago to the story time the library hosts and then I showed her around the main library. She enjoyed it so I brought her again today.


Melanie and I spent about an hour with her reading stories from books she picked off the shelf. She sure picked some great stories! She stays involved in the stories really well and helps turn the pages.

After we were done reading for the day she picked out two books to check out to take home. Her mom came by and filled out the paperwork so she could get her very own library card. Her little signature on the back is so adorable (she'll probably hate it when she gets older and has a real signature but for the time being I think it is wonderful!). So, she was able to check out the two books she picked with her very own card. I would have taken her picture with her card but they mail it to her after it is all in the system. Mellie checked out her books and I checked out mine and we were out of there until next week.

No comments: